The Pizza Puzzle

ONE FINE day. I didn’t feel like going out for lunch so I ordered for a pizza and pasta online from a well-known fast food restaurant. It was 11:15 in the morning and they told me the delivery time was between 30-45 minutes. And I waited.

And waited.

But my food didn’t arrive on time.

So I called the restaurant to follow up for my food. It was a problem with the delivery man, they said. He was not answering his phone and the manager had no idea where he went. Several times I called them to ask about my freaking pizza until I lost my cool. With my bitchy attitude, I ‘sort of’ scolded the manager for employing inefficient delivery men.

The manager apologized and said that I could get my pizza for free. 

It was nearly 3:00 PM when the replacement for my food arrived. It was delivered by a different delivery man. He told me that the first delivery man was being reprimanded in their branch office. 

I ate the pizza but I was no long happy to eat it because my appetite disappeared already for waiting for it for several hours. The only consolation I had was eating it for free.

Afterwards, I fell asleep. I was awakened by three heavy knocks on my door. When I got up, it was dark outside and the movie on the TV screen had already stopped. I quickly glanced in the clock and found that it was 8:55 in the evening. I slept like a bear!

“Who’s outside?” I shouted, lazy to walk.

I heard another set of three heavy knocks.

“Fine, coming!”

When I opened the door, it was a man carrying a thermal bag for pizza. I guessed he was from the same pizza restaurant earlier because he was wearing the same uniform with the delivery man who saved my lunch.

“I didn’t order for another pizza!” I exclaimed, confused.

But instead of explaining why he was giving me a box, he just motioned me to get it on his hands.

Instinctively, I held the box and I was about to say something when he turned his back and slowly walked away.

I followed him with my eyes and noticed that his green t-shirt and black pants seemed to be drenched with sweat or liquid or whatever; he was wet all over. He was walking away, his bike was nowhere to be found.

Still confused by the scenario that just happened, I closed my door and went to the kitchen table to put the pizza box there. Since I was still full and sleepy, I did not bother to check what the pizza flavor was. Immediately, I went to bed again and slept soundly.

The following day, while watching the morning news, one report caught my attention:

Reporter: The body of a man wearing green shirt from **** Pizza was found floating in the Central River. He was identified as Mr. *****. His remains are now being transported to the City Funeral Homes. His neighbors said that Mr. ***** was living alone in his rented apartment and that he was eager to save money so he could go back to his province at the end of the year. According to the manager of the restaurant, he fired Mr. ***** yesterday for not doing his job well, causing them to lose a few customers. Police reports claimed that this is a case of suicide. Forensics also declared that time of death is probably between 7:00 to 7:30 in the evening. #

Image used was from


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s